Thursday, July 5, 2012

Losing Airlines Bragging Rights

As much as I try not to, still end up a mediocre in gaming. Hmmm! But hey, where's the fun in always winning?! (Awkay! I'm contradicting myself.) I don't usually flaunt my defeat. Just for once, I'll give myself this chance.

Last Wednesday's session, if my memory is right, I experience my first ever "Airlines" defeat. Technically, I've lost to Migo in 2s. But he never did in a 5 player game. What struck(hurt) me most is that the person who defeated me is Banks, who just started playing with us last week. OMG! I might not play "Airlines" again with him. Once is enough. Haha! Just kidding. 

The defeat made me questioned my tactics. And I actually couldn't wait to play it again. Losing is like a drug that empowers me. The more I lose, the more I hungered to win. Because I lose, I was forced to evaluate the odds in that game which I usually never do otherwise. It's much painful losing when you don't know the reason why you did.

I think I lose because...

Banks is the only person who uses the "TT" technique(T3). Grace is also known for this and she wasn't in the game. If she were there, the odds might have been different. They would cancel each other, I think. :P Also, aside from T3 Banks strives to hold majority stocks on an airline company too. T3 combined with majority technique is a sure win.  

Also Banks is having communication with other players. When he noticed that someone is also having the majority stocks like him, he offers alliance.


So what is this "TT" technique(T3) about?

Airlines Europe is a stock game, with players earning points for the stock they hold in particular airline companies when one of the randomly determined scorings takes place. On a player's turn, that player either expands an airline and claims a stock, plays stock onto the board and receives dividend, invests in a special airline called Air ABACUS or gets a certain amount of money from the bank. A player scores only for stock in play, but the value of an airline is determined by the value of the route licences that airline owns – thus, you're torn in terms of what to play when.
- Board Game Geek

T3 aims to invest in all airplane companies but does not necessarily contribute in expanding the companies. 

IF T3 and majority combination is a good combination tactic, why am I not using it?

I don't know how to use T3 effectively. I just don't feel safe relying the odds to other players. In almost all games, I always try to be self-sufficient. That's why alliance technique will not work on me too. I don't trust that others will keep their words. Haha! 

Unlike Banks, when I noticed that someone holds a majority stocks, I stop expanding that airline until I'm sure I can be the sole majority holder. 

Bottomline:
I play selfishly. Hahaha! 

Hmmmm....might be changing things on the coming sessions...

Thanks Banks for the lessons! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment