Thursday, November 24, 2011

Race for the Galaxy: The Understanding

"Don't judge a book by a first read!"

Migo told me after our 5th Race for the Galaxy game last Wednesday when I told him I think I am enjoying it already. I have my first last Friday before we left for a trip to Northern Mindanao. It was a disaster. I didn't understand what I'm doing at all, so I told him I might not be playing it again. He was devastated so I withdraw my words. I told him I will try my best next time.

We arrived from the trip Tuesday. I have a video shoot so I went to office early and in return, went out early. Since Migo is on leave, he urged me for a game session. It was not a game session actually but a Race for the Galaxy session. I can feel Migo's perseverance for trying hard to make me appreciate the game thus I also tried my hardest to understand it. The first game was still like my first try. I didn't know what I was doing at all. I told him maybe I was not really cut out to play it. I wanted to quit. Migo won't allow me. We had another. I don't know if it's luck or just my cards, I actually loss to Migo by 2 points only. Migo was of course exhilarated because I finally understood the game. Actually, I still didn't but something's changed. Losing to Migo by a slim points awakened my competitive side and give me a new will to completely understand everything about RFTG.

I first knew about RFTG last month when Migo decided to buy the game. He wants me to check it out too. He doesn't want to buy a game I wouldn't think of playing. Reading the reviews overwhelmed me. I told Migo I might not like it. He asked me to re-consider. In the end, I was as excited as he is to play the game. On our first session with batch 2, we were not able to play the game because we were having a hard time understanding the game play. The overwhelmed feeling was back.

Yet after playing RFTG for 5 times, I think I have misjudged it. It was not really that difficult at all. At first, you will really feel it's difficult due to a number of things to remember but as soon as you familiarize everything then that settles it.

I'm not pro yet but I wanted to be. I want to beat Migo. I understood the game now but I can't transfer my knowledge to someone else yet. I still need time to fully and confidently understand everything. I'm taking my time. :D

1 comment:

  1. [...] overview of Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Race for the Galaxy, Alien Frontiers and Survive. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

    ReplyDelete