Monday, April 2, 2012

An RFTG+AL Session (BG-VI)

We had our 6th board game session last March, 24 at Migo's residence. I don't know if it was fortunate or unfortunate that only 1 player showed up, Victor. 

I wasn't up to gaming because I got tired of an earlier activity. I begged not to participate but Migo won't let me. I had no choice but to drag myself out of bed.


Migo asked Victor what he would like to play. He picked RFTG (Race for the Galaxy). Migo said it was a nice pick so that Victor's memories of the game will be recovered. He forgot the rules the last time he played with Migo and PJ.

As for me, I have developed a liking to RFTG already. It's no longer a problem playing it. Still, the confidence of being able to teach others about it is low. It took me about 5 games just to understand what I'm doing...a lot more to finally able to build my strategy...and a lot, lot more to be able to win. So you see, it'd be pretty hard to let others warm up to RFTG yet. I still lack the skills to convince them that it's worth the headache. Haha!

The first game was challenging. It was a comeback game for Victor. He won with a score of 52 with Earth's Lost Colony as the starting world and using Blue strategy. Migo came in second scoring 45 with Alpha Centauri as starting world. With a point less than Migo, I came in last with New Sparta as the starting world.

I don't want to accept my defeat so we had another match. I won at 35 points. Victor came in second with 31 points. Migo at 27 points. Later, I was in awe when I realized that I was using Victor's starting planet and his strategy from the 1st game. Because I win, I taunted Migo for losing. Migo wanted another match.

We reached 5 rounds of RFTG. Each round, we decided to use different starting world. Following are the details of each.

1
Player | Score | Starting World        | Win Strategy
Kring   | 44      | New Sparta            | 
July     | 45      | Alpha Centauri       | 
Victor  | 52      | Earth's Lost Colony | Blue

2
Player | Score | Starting World | Win Strategy
Kring | 35 | Earth's Lost Colony| Blue
July   | 27 | Old Earth              | 
Victor| 31 | Epsilon Eridani      | 

3
Player | Score | Starting World | Win Strategy
Kring | 34 |  Epsilon Eridani      | 
July   | 25 | Earth's Lost Colony| 
Victor| 17 | New Sparta            |

4
Player | Score | Starting World | Win Strategy
Kring | 38 | Old Earth
July   | 42 | Epsilon Eridani 
Victor| 27 | Alpha Centauri

5
Player | Score | Starting World | Win Strategy
Kring | 28 | Alpha Centauri
July   | 43 | New Sparta
Victor| 27 | Old Earth

Migo and I won twice. Victor won once. 

After RFTG, we decided to play another game. I picked Alien Frontiers. For me, AL is a game that can be matched to RFTG. Playing them requires extra effort. These games make you think a lot. They are such challenging games.

Victor and I tied at 8 points. Migo got 7 points. I wanted to play another round of AL but since I had funrun the next day, I choose to retire early. It was a fun session still despite the number of attendees. Haha! 

Thanks to Victor for playing with us. The 3 of us is still the perfect attendance players. Hehehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment