Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Experience: Ticket To Ride

Ticket To Ride Board Game
[image source: gateplay.com]
Among the games that comprises batch 2, I like Ticket to Ride most. It is not because RFTG is super mind-boggling nor was it because LNOE was a little tragic (and boring). I like it because I never get tired of playing and winning. Haha! Plus it's really super easy to learn. No qualms learning it at all. Trust me!

I hate to lose and playing TTR gives me an equal opportunity to win. The entire game play is simple. Actually, everything in it is simple but surprisingly fun. I think new board gamers out there can easily appreciate and will surely love it on the first game. I hate to admit that Carcassone is no longer my favorite.

So without further ado, let me take you to a one-on-one trip with my new favorite, Ticket to Ride!

How to Win?
Most people start with the game play but I'm not most people. Haha! I'm mostly interested on winning so when a new game is introduced, I always asked how to win it.

Winning is easy but about how you'll do it, depends on your luck (train ticket) and strategy (destination ticket). You only have to accumulate the most points among your opponent. This can be played by at most 5 players.

How to Play?
You can actually read the game manual but I'll just assume that you're like the lazy me who's easily overwhelmed by manuals. Let's take a short cut.

note: boardgamerscebu is transferred to this blog.
Per turn, each player can only do 1 action. That action can either be any of the following:
1. Get a train ticket.
note: boardgamerscebu is transferred to this blog.
There are 8 colors of train tickets as shown above. You will use these tickets to claim a route (action no 3). There is one special train ticket, the multi-color. This can be any color you want it to. For example: If you like to claim a route that needs 4 pink train tickets and you only have 3 pink, you can use a multi-color to make it 4.

In getting the train tickets, please note the following:
(a). You can get all the 2 tickets from the train ticket gallery or train ticket pile or a combination of both.
(b). In getting a ticket from the gallery, you must replace that ticket from the pile. If in opening, the ticket is multi-colored, you cannot get the 2nd ticket anymore.
(c). If you get a multi-colored ticket from the gallery, you cannot get a 2nd ticket. If not follow (b).

2. Get a destination ticket.
note: boardgamerscebu is transferred to this blog.
At the start of the game, you will be provided with 4 train tickets, 3 destination tickets and 45 trains. You can keep the 4 train tickets but you have an option to discard 1 destination ticket. Destination tickets are your goals. If you're able to complete the route, it will be added to your score, subtracted otherwise. So you must not commit if you're not sure whether you can finish the route. You will use your trains to connect to your destinations.

3. Claim a route.
As stated above, you will be given 45 trains. You will use that to reach your destinations. Each point or places comprises one route. You can only claim 1 route per turn. See the colors on the board? Each of them match up to the colors of the train tickets. If you want to get a four train length of route with a color of pink, you need to have 4 pink train tickets (or see 1).

You will given a point in each claim.

I think that's all for this game. Tell me if I miss something out. :D Hope you can play ticket to ride soon. It's really a cool and nice. It's worth every penny if you buy one! Hehe!

You can check the following sites too for a review and some stuffs about ticket to ride.

Found it while searching for TTR pics. Pictures here are courtesy of the above sites. I just add a little extras.

Bye bye!
Till the next game!

1 comment:

  1. [...] game session this Saturday so I talked about it. I ended up telling her about my current favorite: Ticket to Ride. I told her about this blog [...]

    ReplyDelete